Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Nauvoo

Our ward was in charge of helping out at the Nauvoo Pageant on July 24, so we headed down. My sister, Laura and her husband (Davis) and little boy (Marshall) came up from St Louis to come with us.
It was a great time and I hadn't seen the pageant for, like, 20 years so it had changed a lot. We visited all the sights, well all the ones we could fit in. Carthage jail, the Red Brick store, the Scovil bakery(they give out gingerbread cookies) and even the local Hardees (I'm not a fan of this place). It was a nice day for the most part, but about an hour before the pageant started it started raining. And it didn't stop until the pageant was half over. That was fun trudging through the rain with 2 little babies and trying to find a seat and something to eat.
But I guess it doesn't compare to what some of the saints went through years back. And our little guys were such good troupers. They both sat through the whole show and didn't fuss. Yea!
Anyway, the pageant was awesome, the spirit is so strong. We are definitely going to go every year we are here.


At the graves of Joseph, Hyrum, and Emma Smith


The window that Joseph fell through after he was shot. Below pic is the dungeon room, which was actually right next door to room we are in above.


The temple is on the bluff overlooking the whole city. It's so beautiful, and to think it's our temple while we are here in Iowa City. I think the history on this temple is so tragic, but yet so amazing in that it was able to be rebuilt in a time when we could see it.
"Today, facing west, on the high bluff overlooking the city of Nauvoo, thence across the Mississippi, and over the plains of Iowa, there stands Joseph’s temple, a magnificent house of God. Here in the Salt Lake Valley, facing east to that beautiful temple in Nauvoo, stands Brigham’s temple, the Salt Lake Temple. They look toward one another as bookends between which there are volumes that speak of the suffering, the sorrow, the sacrifice, even the deaths of thousands who made the long journey from the Mississippi River to the valley of the Great Salt Lake." -Pres Gordon B. Hinckley, “‘O That I Were an Angel, and Could Have the Wish of Mine Heart’,” Ensign, Nov 2002



We didn't have the time to go to the grounds and look around, but the pics we got were perfect, even at night. Good times.

3 comments:

  1. I love Nauvoo too, I love that quote from Pres Hickley about the temple. Can't wait to see you again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, reading that quote almost made me cry all over again! We did have a good time, but now I realize we didn't get a pic of all of us together, oh well. We had a great time, its so fun living so close to you guys! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks fun. The church history sites are some of the first places I want to go when the kids are "older" or maybe even completely out of the house.

    ReplyDelete