I was so excited to plant a real garden this year. I did started a little late because of the move, but that was ok by me. And everything seems to be growing quite well, despite the stupid chipmunks that think they own the place. There were no starters for zucchini since I was planting so late so I had to go from seed. Well I got my little piles and planted my seeds, both squash and cucumber, went out to water the next day and they had all been dug up! I really want to follow my mother- in-law's lead and purchase a paintball gun and shoot the buggers. Well, I decided to start then inside and when I had sprouts go plant them in the back. Being the slacker that I am I didn't do it right away and come to find out a few survived and so now I do have zucchini growing along with a cucumber.

I also have 2 tomato plants, beets, swiss chard, peppers, basil, oregano, chives, cilantro, and rosemary. All the herbs are in pots. I love having the fresh herbs and the basil went crazy so I'm thinking about making some pesto.


There is just something exciting about having your own garden and growing your own food. It's awesome.(And we do have some super topsoil here in Iowa). I got so giddy when all the sprouts started coming up, like a new mommy watching her babies grow. It's the best. I recommend it if you have the space, you won't regret it. Plus you get to enjoy some tasty veggies and feel the satisfaction of being self sufficient. I also like to frequent the local farmer's market for things we aren't growing. Love it!
Awesome garden, though I feel your pain with the chipmunks. We have squirrels as well and they have combined to clean out our tomatoes (I have 8 large plants that were loaded but alas they get eaten before they are ripe enough to pick). I can see why Southerners fry their green tomatoes instead of letting them ripen 'cause they never make it to ripe. Hopefully you will have better luck with yours! Otherwise, seriously invest in the paintball gun. :)
ReplyDelete