Sunday, May 15, 2011

Erosion


So we just got back from a beautiful spring adventure out west. It started on a sad note, but we had an enjoyable week. We saw lots of friends and family and enjoyed some of the countless wonders of the natural world.
Stacy, despite attending college in Utah, had never been to southern Utah to enjoy the wonders of the Colorado Plateau, San Rafael Swell and the amazing things that time, wind, and water can do with sandstone. I thought it high time we remedy that.

One of my favorite things about the American West, Moab, and Arches/Canyonlands in particular is how effortlessly one can capture impressive scenes with a camera. I'm sure Ansel Adams was a great photographer, but how hard is it to make the Yosemite Valley appear beautiful? Is there an angle at which Delicate Arch is just so-so?

Time + wind + water + sandstone = impressive. There are 200 foot tall walls of rock that are 6 feet thick just standing out there to be enjoyed.

I won't belabor the point, but I will say we had a lot of fun. Stacy was a trooper and a hiking machine, and even Jack got in the act for about 30 yards at a time. Inevitably a pebble or stick would prove really, really, really far too fascinating to pass up and he had to be drug away.
Stacy showed how maternal she could be and wouldn't let Jack or me anywhere near the edge of a cliff, but obviously those rules don't apply to pregnant ladies.
I guess some of us just can't be trusted.

Anyway 8 days of family, friends, beautiful nature, and a dose of skiing with dad at Snowbird added up to a pretty good week off.


1 comment:

  1. great post with some fabulous pics....Stacy get away from that ledge.

    I loved the scenery there but was paranoid at delicate arch that some one would go over or fall. i am not a fan at all of heights over 6 feet. It made it hard for me to enjoy a lot of stuff...too scared!!!

    ReplyDelete