Tuesday, June 1, 2010

What is wrong with this picture?

So this happened. Let's take a look at the many travesties of common sense here.

1. The woman needed directions to get somewhere in Utah. I personally believe the grid system has a few flaws, but needing directions to navigate it is NOT one of them.

2. She failed to successfully cross a street. There's a lot of impressive achievements we as Americans collectively admire. Joe DiMaggio hit safely in 56 consecutive major league baseball games, Ted Williams was the last man to bat 0.400, Jack Nicklaus won 18 major golf tournaments, John Wooden's UCLA Bruins won 7 consecutive NCAA Basketball Tournaments, and 9 in 10 years. There is a feat many of us have accomplished yet overlook. Almost all of us have perfect records for street crossings. I've never been hit. Never even come close. Children not yet in kindergarten do it successfully every day. It's simple. LOOK BOTH WAYS. If there's a car coming, especially if it looks like it's coming fast and it's a "pitch-black night" then don't step in front of it. It's not rocket surgery.

3. She is suing for lost wages, yet is unemployed. Maybe I'm off on this one. Maybe she lost her job as a result of the accident, but something tells me that's not the case here... oh yeah she failed to cross a street, was hit by a car, and is now suing the people who gave her directions she failed to follow correctly. I doubt Google included anything like this in the directions: "Advance across Deer Valley BLVD 35.75 FT, strike oncoming traffic with outstretched hand, continue 34.25 FT".

I like to think I'm an understanding person. There's a lot of things that simply aren't the way the news broadcasters and comment makers tell them. However I can't think of an alternative to some combination of stupidity and greed that equals suing someone for giving you directions you showed no discretion in following. Does this mean if I tell someone how to get to the local 7-11 for a tasty Slurpee brand confection and in their haste they run a red light and total their car I'm somehow at fault?

Sometimes you just have to wonder.

Also, I will no longer be giving directions. Please consult these people but do so responsibly.

2 comments:

  1. I read about that in the paper a week or so ago. I was flabbergasted, too. It drives me nuts that idiots think they can sue people or companies for their own stupidity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This just goes to show that jaywalkers are dangerous anarchists.

    ReplyDelete